The Economics Department no longer requires any prerequisite courses for external admission to the major.
There is no separate application for admission to the Economics major. Prospective transfers will submit the ApplyTexas application and any corresponding documentation to UT Admissions for processing. The Economics Department is not involved in the application or selection process. Contact UT Admissions for questions related to the admissions application and acceptance.
You will find more information for prospective transfers on the Be-A-Longhorn website.
Additional Information for Prospective Transfers:
The following courses/credit hours must be taken in residence (at UT-Austin):
- At least 60 credit hours of (any) coursework
- A minimum of 18 credit hours of economics coursework counting towards the major
- All of the following courses: ECO 420K Microeconomic Theory, ECO 320L Macroeconomic Theory, ECO 329 Economic Statistics, and ECO 341K Econometrics
Transfer Resources on the UT Admissions website lets you:
- Find the UT equivalents of courses at Texas universities and community colleges by using the Automated Transfer Equivalency (ATE) database
- See how courses taken at other Texas institutions apply to a degree at UT-Austin by creating an Interactive Degree Audit (IDA)
- Find out about transfer policies, procedures, and common problems
- Prospective students from out-of-state should contact UT Admissions regarding transfer credit evaluation. International students with course equivalency/ admissions process questions should contact the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC).