Department of English

Raelynn Gosse


Contact

Courses


E 314J • Literature And Film

34895 • Spring 2019
Meets MW 11:30AM-1:00PM JES A218A
Wr

E 314J  l  1-Literature and Film

 

Instructor:  Gosse, R

Unique:  34895

Semester:  Spring 2019

Cross-lists: n/a

Restrictions:  n/a

Computer instruction:  No

 

Prerequisites: One of the following: E 303C (or 603A), RHE 306, 306Q, or T C 303C (or 603A).

 

Description: This course will examine how 19th-century British literature and contemporary cinema depict complex, radical, and deviant women.  Whether a woman be morally monstrous, sexually transgressive, a suspected murderess, a fallen woman, a conniving social schemer, or simply an educated, ambitious, and independent being, she is never above suspicion of becoming what so many fear—a threat tosocial order, the patriarchal family unit, and men.  Throughout this course, we will endeavor to answer the following questions by engaging with a range of literary and filmic texts that explore and experiment with the figure of the dangerous woman. How has the representation of dangerous women in literature and film shifted or remained in stasis?  What power dynamics and social, economic, and political identities are at stake when using this term?  What makes a woman dangerous, and what structures and individuals does she threaten?

 

The primary aim of this course is to help students develop and improve the critical reading, writing, and thinking skills needed for success in upper-division courses in English and other disciplines. They will also gain practice in using the Oxford English Dictionary and other online research tools and print resources that support studies in the humanities.  Students will learn basic information literacy skills and models for approaching literature with various historical, generic, and cultural contexts in mind.

 

This course contains a writing flag.  The writing assignments in this course are arranged procedurally with a focus on invention, development through instructor and peer feedback, and revision; they will comprise a major part of the final grade.

 

Tentative Texts: Mary Elizabeth Braddon’s Lady Audley’s Secret, Charlotte Brontë’sJane Eyre, George Eliot’s The Lifted Veil, Robert Egger’s The Witch (film), Ana Lily Amirpour’s A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (film).

 

Requirements & Grading: There will be a series of 3 short essays, the first of which must be revised and resubmitted (70% of final grade).  The remaining 30% of the final course grade will be divided as follows:  attendance and participation (10%), student in-class presentations and short reaction papers (20%).

Profile Pages