- What is an Internal Transfer?
An Internal Transfer is a student who is already admitted to the University of Texas at Austin but is declared in another major. Students who are transferring to UT from another institution should explore our Freshman and Transfer Admission page.
All internal transfers into the IRG major will need to complete the Internal Transfer Application.
Students who have already completed a degree will NOT be considered for internal transfer admission.
- Accordion 2Panel 2. Add body text in this space.
- Accordion 3Panel 3. Add body text in this space.
- Accordion 4Panel 4. Add body text in this space.
- Accordion 5Panel 5. Add body text in this space.
Learn more about the IRG major
To be eligible for internal transfer into the IRG major as an undergraduate student you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA with at least 12 hours in residence taken for a letter grade.
- Must have at least two of the following in progress or completed:
- At least one foreign language course with a grade of C or higher
- ECO 301 or ECO 304L or ECO 304K
- GRG 305
- ANT 302 or SOC 302
- HIS 301J (22-24 Catalog only)
- Area studies course: ANS, EUS, LAS, MES, REE, AFR (from approved list)
- Must attend an internal transfer information session.
- You must RSVP at least 1 hour in advance of the meeting time. Zoom invitations will be sent out approximately 1 hour before the meeting time. Please only RSVP once for the time you have selected.
- Upcoming Info Sessions are outlined in the next tab. All sessions will be held on Zoom.
- If you have already attended one in a previous semester, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to apply in the current semester. You do not have to attend again.
- There are no makeup sessions. Please arrange for your attendance.
The intent of the internal transfer information session is to enhance your understanding of IRG as a major at UT and therefore help you determine if IRG is the right major for you. Attendance at one of these information sessions is required prior to meeting with an IRG advisor.
- Applications for Spring admission will open on September 15th and close on December 1st. Applications for Fall admission will open on February 1st and close on May 1st.
- Applications can be submitted online via the Internal Transfer Application.
- Ability to graduate in four years is taken into account in the admissions decisions. If adding or changing your major to IRG will delay your four-year graduation, we may not admit you.
- We will accept test and transfer credit for the course requirement. Transfer credit must already be transferred and posted in IDA. Courses taken pass/fail in Spring 2020 or COVID pass/fail in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 will count towards the coursework requirement.
Applications for Fall 2023 will open on February 1st and close on May 1st.
Applications can be submitted online via the Internal Transfer Application.
Spring Info Session Dates:
- Tuesday, January 31st @ 3:30PM - RSVP HERE
- Wednesday, February 15th @ 11:00AM - RSVP HERE
- Wednesday, March 8th @ 10:00AM - RSVP HERE
- Thursday, April 6th @ 9:30AM - RSVP HERE
- Monday, May 1st @ 3PM - RSVP HERE
All Info Sessions will take place on Zoom. Zoom links will be sent out 1 hour prior to Info Session. Please do not RSVP more than once for a session!
If you have already attended an information session in a previous semester, please email email@example.com if you plan to apply in the current semester. You do not have to attend again.